I Double Dog Dare Ya

"Don’t ever tell me there is something I can’t do- I’ll spend years (4…) proving you wrong."

I came across that quote from someone I used to work with who found me on Facebook.

I don't know the story behind her quote, but I can imagine there are others in her life who either doubted what she was wanting to do, or maybe it was their own way of challenging her to do more, be more.

So without preaching or anything like that, my question is this (and I think it's for all of us), what in your past have you been dared to do which is still in the back of your mind to this day?

Or better yet, what have you wanted to do, which you still want to work toward, but for one reason or other, haven't made the effort to complete?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
David Stoddard
The Unmotivated Motivational Writer
Twitter: twitter.com/imdavidstoddard
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 comments:

  1. Because my background is in journalism and corporate newsletter editing, writing a novel seemed intriguing but impossible. After taking a magazine fiction-writing course to challenge myself, I fell in love with creating fiction. Then I fell in love with writing a novel. Then I fell in love with making that novel a series. Five years later, I have one novel published and another *in the same series* almost complete. The "dare" came from me. I dared myself to accomplish this, and I took my own dare. That's how stubborn I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1987 I moved from Honolulu to Seattle. I interviewed for several nursing jobs in all kinds of units - adult respiratory, teenagers, general med-surg. I ended up taking one in a neonatal intensive care because it was the one that scared me the most. I'm still there - different unit, different role, same premies. They still scare me sometimes...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi Lea,

    Congrats on the publishing success. It all starts with something where we might think to ourselves something along the lines of "I may not make it to the finish line, but I will be a lot further along than if I do nothing." - Well, something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liv,

    Now that is courage. Seeing the tiny ones who struggle day to day fighting just to survive would scare me into probably standing in the corner and just watching others make things happen. I'd be afraid I'd do more harm than good in these cases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh David - what do I want to do? I turned down doing a PhD in Education - I really couldn't see the point. At the time I flippantly said I'd only do a PhD if I could write my thesis in (Classical) Greek! Well the thought has stuck with me and I see it as a bit of a challenge that I really would like to do. Not writing the thesis in Greek - I don't think anyone these days would accept that, but doing a higher degree just for fun in an area I'm passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret,

    Sounds like a wonderful challenge you are thinking of taking of for yourself. Having a program to work through on a given topic of interest is a great idea. Especially when it's something you don't "have" to do, but want to. Best of luck with it should you choose to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete