Why The Rain In Our Lives Matters

This past weekend, I had the chance to just sit and think about things. How I got here. What has happened in life that has lead me to this moment, this place, this computer, this pair of Velcro laced shoes.

I wondered why Pepsi and not Coke? Why can I write fairly well, yet really didn't care about it back in grade school? Why did I want to be a teacher despite hating getting up in front of people? How do I know enough about computers to be dangerous when I really don't see myself as that techy or mechanically inclined?

Then today comes around, I as a bit of a continuation, I started thinking about what had taken place in the past. Things which when wrong. You know, those embarrassing moments like choosing Mediterranean Sea when it wasn't even one of the 4 choises. Or that time when I got poison ivy for what seemed forever. Or when I sprained my ankle playing soccer with a few 7 year old kids across the street.

These things are just small glitches along the way in life. There have certainly been bigger ones such as when my father passed away without warning, auto accidents, layoffs and the list goes on and on.

In the process of thinking back to these things, I was reminded of thoughts from philosophy class. You need to have the bad to know there is good. How do you know if you are doing well at something, if you don't look back at how you once sucked at it?

What if everything was perfect? Nothing ever went wrong. Bad things didn't take place. How would we know we had it pretty good?

There is an old Arabian proverb."All sunshine makes a desert."

Wow! Looking at it that way, that would kinda suck as well.

So yes. things do happen, but it is for the better. Those that don't destroy me, only make me stronger. (5 points for coming up with who said that).

YOUR ASSIGNMENT

Just think.

It's sort of a day off of homework here, but yet, it's not. Think about where you were, where you are and how you got here. How did you end up becoming CEO of Microsoft instead of the King of Suede? (Weird Al song- not the CEO part). What have you had to endure? What just worked out? What might you be going through now? How will this rainstorm make you better down the road?

--David

No comments:

Post a Comment