Your Role Models Are Worth Writing With

I came across this pic by accident today. (Isn't a lot of what we come across usually by accident)? Anyway... it made me think for a moment about the writers I have liked reading over the years. Folks like Dave Barry, Erma Bombeck, Tim Bete, Bob Baker (and some others whose last names don't begin with a B).

I don't know why it made me think of that, it just did. I had never before thought about looking at other writers as role models before. At least not consciously I don't believe. The closest I came was thinking it would be pretty cool to be able to write humorous things (and get paid for them in the multi-figure numbers that other Dave guy makes).

I didn't think about the whole emulating his writing style or writing out his columns word for word to get a sense of his writing as it was happening nor looking into the life and times of Mr. Barry to see how my life and writing history matched with his. But thinking as I type that now, it is an interesting thought.

So how about you...

  • Who do you enjoy reading?
  • Who do you wish you could write like?
  • Write out word for word a piece of their writing as if you are writing it.
  • Look up info about your "role model writer's" bio.
  • Who can you be a role model for with what you write?
So, back to rolling out some more stuff.

--David

pic courtesy of http://icanhascheezburger.com/
(Don't tell Shannon or Bruno there is a cat on this blog).



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

David Stoddard

Follow me on Twitter twitter.com/djstoddard
Pick up the Kindle version of 200 Writing Prompts
Balance your biz-life and your life-life at www.biz-e-life.com
Yorkie fan? Check out Terrific Yorkies.com

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment